|Nine Ways Air Travel Is Better Than it's Ever Been|
|By George Hobica|
|RISMEDIA, Thursday, May 29, 2014— (MCT)—If I read one more article about how awful air travel is today compared to the “golden days of air travel” my head is going to explode. I’m as nostalgic as the next guy, and would pay anything to take one last ride in a Lockheed Constellation, but let’s face facts.|
Compared to the days of the “Connie” and Douglas DC-7, and even the Boeing 707, when Pan Am and TWA and Eastern ruled the skies, today’s air travel is:
When I took my first transcontinental flight (in a TWA Boeing 707) my parents paid the inflation-adjusted equivalent of about $2,000 round-trip. That was the only fare available in 1964, other than first class and maybe a “night” fare. We flew “Y” economy class. There were no discounts, no super savers. The fare was printed on the TWA schedule. It changed maybe a couple of times a year. Flying was a luxury. Now you can fly New York to L.A. for $129 each way on a good day. And here’s a fact: When we started
The 707 was a lovely plane but so far, it has been involved in 170 crashes or one kind or another. Compare that to the 777 or any modern jetliner. Air travel is much safer today than in the good old days.
New planes are much quieter than those old rumbling Constellations or noisy 707s. You’re flying in a much better product. Yes, the seats are getting more cramped, unless you opt for an “economy plus” or “economy comfort” seat.
There are power plugs at seats. And Wi-Fi. You can check in online and get flight notifications on your mobile device.
In olden days, entertainment took the form of the flight attendants handing out playing cards with the airline’s logo stamped on them. I do miss airline playing cards, but I’d rather have seat-back video with hundreds of movies and TV shows.
Can you believe that they used to allow smoking on airplanes?
You can book your own
You can fly to so many more places today, often with just one stop or one connection, than back in the 1950s and ’60s
Love them or hate them, back in the good old days there was no such thing as a
True, there were some things about the good old days that were better. The economy class seats were plusher. People were more civil. You could greet friends and relatives and see them off at the gate. But today, for all its negatives, commercial air travel is a much better product than it was even a few years ago.
I’ll still be collecting those airline flight bags and other memorabilia. But that’s as far as my air travel nostalgia goes.
George Hobica is founder of the low-airfare listing website Airfarewatchdog.com.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Century 21 Affiliated
May 29 2014
Air Travel May be better than ever!
- May 29, 2014
- apps for the New Year (1)
- Buyers (1)
- Down Payment Assistance Program (1)
- Facebook After Death (1)
- Financing (1)
- Finding your inner peace (1)
- First Homebuyers (1)
- Flipping houses (1)
- Foreclosure, Bankruptcy, and Short Sale (1)
- FSBO'S Save Money Hire an Agent (1)
- Gardening Tips (1)
- Gas Leaks in your home? (1)
- Getting Organized (1)
- Home improvement (1)
- Home Maintenance (1)
- Home Sales poised to take off (1)
- Homeownship (1)
- Housing market (1)
- Housing Market Trends (1)
- How to have a Greener Home (1)
- Increasing Home Value (1)
- Insulating your home (1)
- Interest Rates for mortgages (1)
- Interest Rates, Housing Market (1)
- Moving and Home remodeling (1)
- Moving Tips (1)
- Moving your family (2)
- New Home purchase, buying a home (1)
- New Listing (1)
- News on the housing market (1)
- Open Houses (1)
- Pet Friendly Rentals (1)
- Power of positive thinking, improve your life (1)
- Preparing your home for summer (1)
- Real Estate Home Prices (1)
- Rent vs Own (3)
- Reseach for Older Homes (1)
- Researching Old Homes (1)
- Reverse Mortgages (1)
- Saving for Retirement (3)
- Short Sales (1)
- Smart Appliances (1)
- Social Media (1)
- Spring Cleaning tips (1)
- Staging a home for sale (3)
- Staging Your Home to Sell (1)
- The Life of a Realtor (1)
- Tips for home up keep (3)
- Tips for investing in Real Estate (1)
- Vacation Tips (3)
- Wallpaper (1)
- Where is Cable TV Today? (1)