This marks the beginning of my weekly blog post highlighting the best of Northwest Indiana. Today I will start with LaPorte County. While I was raised in Valpo, I was born in LaPorte and my parents met in Michigan City. We spent a lot of time there growing up and I still have family there. I love Valpo, but LaPorte County has a special place in my heart too.
Here are some things aboutLaPorte Countyyou may or may not know, but should definitely keep in mind this summer and year round:
- LaPorte County has over 30 lakes! For a full listing, click here. If you love lake fun, you MUST spend some time in LaPorte Co this summer. Here is a list of the upcoming festivities to enjoy there.
- Michigan City has become very well known for the ARTS! The Uptown Arts District is in downtown Michigan City consisting of Franklin Street and 11th St all the way to Lake Michigan, and Spring to Wabash Streets. The Mainstreet Association services this district, which consists of over 150 businesses specializing in services, dining, art, retail, entertainment and more. If you've never been to their First Friday Art Walk, you are missing out! Download the Art Walk Guide here.
- There's more to do in Michigan City than shop at the Lighthouse Mall. If you have little ones, they will LOVE the Washington Park Zoo. Its an affordable and fun day with a lake view, an especially awesome view if you climb their tower.
- Don't forget to schedule a visit or class atthe Lubeznik Center for the Arts! It is the gem of the lakefront. They have tons of events, classes for kids, and more. And be sure to attend their annual Lakefront Art Festival at Washington Park on August 15-16. Check out the details here.
- You don't' need to be a PNC student or employee to visit and enjoy their sculpture park. This gorgeous campus on 421 in Westville is well known for its art and sculptures. Grab a picnic basket and head out to the PNC campus. But first check out what you will see by clicking here.
- The Hesston Steam Museum is perfect for the train lover in your family. Located near I94 in LaPorte, you can take a ride on 3 different railroads and stroll among machines of the industrial age. Learning and fun are what this museum is all about!
- Food! LaPorte has some incredible restaurants, including SPIRE Farm to Fork Cuisine. Their tagline says it all, "fresh. versatile. always unique." The golf course setting and modern design make this the perfect location for your next evening out! Be sure to make a reservation 219.575.7272
- Its hard to beat the 4th of July in LaPorte! This community does the 4th BIG! If you've never been to their parade, you must go this year. GET your seats early! The LaPorte parade begins at 10 a.m. and includes 2 hours of old fashioned, family fun. The parade forms on Lincolnway at Al's East and travels west to Andrew Avenue.
Have I convinced you that LaPorte County has a ton to offer you and your family this summer and year round! There's so much more I could have included and will in the future. My challenge to those living in Lake and Porter Counties is to stretch outside your neighborhood and have some LaPorte County fun this summer!