TOP 10 THINGS TO DO and #EnjoyAurora this weekend, 9/9-9/11!
1. The Sandwich Fair Association's Sandwich Fair is this weekend! Are you excited?!? We're excited! It's the longest-running fair in the state's history and brings over *175,000* visitors to the Sandwich Fair Grounds every year with harness races, draft horse pulls, carnival rides, demo derby, grandstand shows and the Midwest’s largest display of agricultural and home arts exhibits. Enjoy a traditional fair with the awesome amenities of a modern theme park. There’s something for everyone! Join the fun!
2. Mamma Mia!: September 7-October 30, 2016! The Paramount Theatre kicks off its 2016/2017 season with Mamma Mia!, the show that turned musical theater on its ear. This is a story of love and friendship, of lost dreams and that last chance to make it all right, set to the music of one of the most popular bands in the world -- ABBA. From "Dancing Queen" to "Take a Chance", from "SOS" to "Knowing Me, Knowing You", it's one hit after another that will have you mouthing the words and dancing in your seats. Experience the musical that's also an international phenomenon on its opening weekend at the Paramount!
3. Celebrate the sound, culture, and taste of Mexico this Saturday and Sunday atFiestas Patrias at RiverEdge Park. From the delicious food to the variety of musical acts and a children's play area, there's something for everyone at this fun-filled festival right on the Fox River. Experience the rich heritage of Mexico, and don't miss this cool event!
4. Water Street Studios celebrates this Friday, 9/10 with a juried 7th Anniversary Show Gallery Opening Reception at its gallery space in Downtown Batavia. Opening reception begins at 6pm with live music by Michael Barton and food by Gaetano's Batavia.
5. Corky Siegel's Chamber Blues, a ground-breaking hybrid of classical and blues music in a chamber setting with arrangements for violin, cello, piano, and viola, as well as Corky Siegel's signature harmonica. The group is joined by Sam Lay, a renowned drummer in the Blues Hall of Fame and the Jazz Hall of Fame, and featured in Martin Scorcese's History of the Blues. Catch this show Saturday, 9/10 at Fermilab Arts & Lecture Series.
6. Scrapbookers should head on down to the Hampton Inn & Suites in Aurora this weekend for the September 9, 10, 11, 2016 The Scrap Cabana's Weekend Scrapbook Retreat! If you are looking for a place to scrapbook and meet new people then this is the event for you! Bring your own tools or use a full array of scrapping tools provided by the retreat.
7. Friday 9/8 the The Capitol Steps put the "mock" in democracy at the Batavia Fine Arts Centre -- the comedy team digs into the headlines of the day and creates parodies, skits, and songs with a special brand of sarcastic humor.
8. The Jake Mack Trio takes the stage at the The Law Office Pub & Music Hall this Friday 9/8 at 8pm with opener Jillian Johnson, a local singer and guitarist with an energetic stage performance. Expect a night full of great tunes & Three Angels craft brews at the Law Office, one of Yorkville's newest and coolest venues along the Fox River. Event link here: Jake Mack Trio / Jillian Johnson - Sept 9th
9. One of the Top 4 Flea Markets in the state is the Scout Flea Market at the Kendall County Fairgrounds in Yorkville! Unique vintage, antique, and retro furniture as well as handmade goods and local food are yours to discover at the market this Sunday, 9/11 from 10am-3pm.
10. Meet dozens of local published authors at this year's Catch a Bunch of Authors Fairon Saturday, 9/10 from 2-4pm at the Santori Library, 101 S. River Street in Aurora. This year's panel discussion is "Publishing: A Lesson Learned". Panelists include Adrienne Giordano, P.E. Calhoun, Greg Stolze, and Anna Michaels, with moderator Amy Alessio.