December 3rd is National Roof Over Your Head Day, and its purpose is to celebrate and be thankful for everything that we have, including the roof over our heads.
To give back on this meaningful day, consider volunteering at a homeless shelter or local food pantry.
“On a single night in January 2015, 564,708 people were experiencing homelessness—meaning they were sleeping outside or in an emergency shelter or transitional housing program,” according to the National Alliance to End Homelessness.
Here are a few organizations within our footprint, and we encourage everyone to give back to their communities this holiday season.
- Porchlight: Solutions to Homelessness –Madison, WI
- Home House of Milwaukee – Milwaukee, WI
- Lincoln Park Community Shelter – Chicago, IL
- Cornerstone Community Outreach – Chicago, IL
- Gabriel’s Horn Shelter – Valparaiso, IN
- Center for the Homeless – South Bend, IN
- Kalamazoo Gospel Mission – Kalamazoo, MI
- Safe House Center – Ann Arbor, MI
- Tampa Hillsborough Homeless Initiative - Tampa, FL
- New Beginnings of Tampa – Tampa, FL
How will you be giving back on National Roof Over Your Head Day? Let us know on our Facebook.