A strike of lightning is rarely ever anticipated, but these stormy surges can present major safety concerns for you and your family. Below are several lightning safety tips to consider, from Georgia Power.
- Never touch any downed wire or low hanging wires.
- Never pull tree limbs off power, telephone or cable lines or attempt to repair electrical equipment damaged in a storm.
- Never go near chain link fences – downed power lines or lightning strikes may energize the entire length of the fence.
- Avoid walking through flooded areas or puddles as they may be energized by downed power lines.
- Never walk into areas where crews are at work. If driving near work crews, obey road signs and proceed cautiously.
Source: Georgia Power